4.14.2007

The Great Hair Dilemma

Last fall I got bored with my hair. I decided to let it grow out for a while and see what would happen. And so I stopped cutting, let it grow, and started brushing it forwards instead of backwards, which is something I previously hadn't done in years.

I was happy with the results for a while, but the longer my hair gets, the more it curls at the bottom. It's not quite afro-worthy, and I hope it stays that way. But it does get this little curly thing happening at the fringes that annoys me to no end because I think it looks ridiculous.

My "long" hair has been met with mixed opinions from others. I've been described as "scruffy looking" at least once or twice. At christmas my own grandmother didn't even recognize me. But I've also been told that it looks good on me, though I'm not sure I agree. I like the way it looks right after I get out of the shower and brush it, but once it's dry and curls a bit more I'm less impressed. I also have very very thick hair, which means that this 'doo is difficult to manage.

I guess the conclusion I've drawn is that I'm not 100% happy with the results of this experiment, and it's probably time for a haircut again. But now that I've made that decision, I can't bring myself to do it. It's rather silly. If I wanted the longer hair, I could grow it back, but part of me just doesn't want to cut it off.

I think I'm hoping that there's some way I can salvage this hair. Like, if I could have the longish hair just on top, but get rid of the curly stuff at the bottom, back, and sides. But that would end up leading to an undercut, and I hate undercuts.

I'm also hesitant to do this because there is little photographic history of this event. I've taken some bad web-cam pics, but otherwise there are very few photos of me with my longer hair. This phase in my history will be forgotten in time. I'm tempted to keep it longer and encourage people to take photos so that I can prove that for 6 months of my life I grew my hair out.

Of course, such an event in one's history is basically negligible. Who cares about a haircut anyways? And I probably wouldn't want those photos coming back to haunt me later in my life.

Well, I guess I'm off to the hair-dressers. Maybe they can do something neat with it. I'm doubtful, but we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Are we gonna see some pictures, here?