1.25.2007

Panhandler in Training

Well dammitall. I'm beside myself with shock. Stupid karma...

Once upon a time I worked at a call center doing tech support for a high profile computer company. It was an okay job and good experience, but in the end it didn't make me happy and so I quit. And I swore never ever to work at a call center again.

So I've been looking for work for the last 4 months. It's getting to the point where I desperately need a job and I'm starting to consider applying for things that I previously thought I would never consider doing.

Last week I applied for a job at Telus. They've been hiring for their Telus mobility call center lately. And while it churned my stomache to imagine working in a call center again, the prospect of earning $18.55/hour was very promising. And they way I had things figured, between my previous call center experience and my previous cell phone sales experience, they would be foolish not to hire me.

On Monday I was called in to complete a "skills assessment test". Which didn't really assess skills at all. There were a few logic problems, but mostly it was a test to profile your personality and determine how you would handle a customer service position. It basically simulated phone calls, offered multiple responses to the simulated customer, and asked you to rate those responses good, moderate, or poor. I didn't find it all that difficult as it was basically like doing what I used to do at my old tech support job.

We were told that we'd hear within a week if we had been selected for an interview.

I have just found out that I have been passed up. I won't even be getting an interview. On the bright side, it means that I can stick to my vow to never work in a call center again.

F#$k you, Karma. F#$k you.

I have 6 to 8 weeks left on EI, and no job prospects. I'm running out of time, money, and options, all at the same time. I'm royally f#$ked. I honestly don't know what to do.

I guess somewhere along the line the world decided that despite all my effort and hard work at being me these past 26 years, I'm just not good enough at that. I want to curl up and die.

(But don't worry, I won't. That would be foolish.)

4 comments:

Jess said...

Well, you always did get a bad rating on the amount of sympathy you showed for the customer. . .

|:::lockan:::| said...

That's true. But I was rather careful during the assessment to be concious of that fact and give responses that were sympathetic better ratings.

Sarah said...

I think you should be a student for the rest of your life. I've got a lot of friends who are currently in grad school and they tell me "it's the life". Apparently the government pays you money to study obscure things, there are lots of parties, with lots of beer...and did I mention the pizza and all the hot nerdy kids? Grad school, is where it's at.

Anonymous said...

You could always do like I did after we finished AI, suck it up and get a warehouse or entry level trades jobs. Makes you miserable but it pays bills that need paying. And despite the mind numbing boringness of the work the lack of money stress helps. At least you still have EI though, I just have a series of debts and a pending wrongful dismissal claim.