2.10.2008

The Past is Memories...

... And the future has yet to come. It's both the end of an era, and the beginning of a new chapter.

It was dark, dirty, grimy. There was conversation, laughter, and a few tears. There were good friends, familiar faces, and new acquaintances. There were die-hards, groupies, hecklers, and rowdies. There were drinks, cigarettes, earplugs. There were young metalheads, old punks, and a modern-day pirate with his hunting hounds. The crowd bumped and bounced with raised fists. The air in the room wasn't still for a single moment.

It was excellent. You should have been there.

Last night was Corey's last night as the singer for Flood of Fire. The band played a late set at the Cobalt, and they definitely ended on a high note.

I've been going to as many Flood of Fire shows as I can for the last three years to lend my support as a fan. I've seen them play some really good shows and their fair share of bad ones. I've seen them grow as a band and as a circle of friends. I've partied with them late into the night, driven their van back to their jamspace for them, and celebrated special occasions at their homes. It's weird to think that these guys have been a significant part of my social life for the last three years.

For those of you who never had the pleasure of seeing them play, you don't know what you've missed out on. It's rare to find a group of people with such great chemistry, both on stage and off. But these guys just gel. It sounds cheesy, but I can't think of any better way to say it.

It's not the end for Flood of Fire, and it's not the last of Corey. Corey has started a blues project with a good friend of his. Flood of Fire will take a bit of a break to decide what to do about a vocalist, but they're not done yet either.

It's a time of change, but I suppose change is good. And the way I see it, this just means two bands to support, which means my social life just doubled.

But you still have no idea what you've all missed out on.

No comments: